Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    NHS and Community Care Act 1990……??????…..

On my recent demonstration of Profiling Beds, they were kind enough to get
    a qualified O.T. to come from Bristol twenty miles away.

It was a revelation to get expert input and gdance through the myriad of different options.

They had on the previous visit told me in full the large complexities and hoops to jump through
    for the D.F.G. system.

The O.T. then pointedly wrote down on my paper :-

“NHS and Community Care Act 1990”

….and told me to find out fully about this.

What is all this about please ? ?????…..and why am I being guided here ?

"Even if you are not paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you!".

taungfox
    Participant
    Re: NHS and Community Care Act 1990……??????…..

Wiki didn’t help make things any clearer

The act introduced an internal market into the supply of healthcare making the state an ‘enabler’ rather than a supplier of health and social care provision.[1]

The Act states that it is a duty for local authorities to assess people for social care and support. This is to ensure that people who need community care services or other types of support get the services they are entitled to. Patients have their needs and circumstances assessed and the results determine whether or not care or social services will be provided. This also ensures that the people giving the care follow a certain set of rules called the care value base.

Local authority resources can be taken into account during the assessment process, but if it is deemed that services are required, then those services must be provided by law: services can’t be withdrawn at a later date if resources become limited.

The NHS and Community Care Act in 1990 split the role of health authorities and local authorities by changing their internal structure, so that local authority departments assess the needs of the local population and then purchase the necessary services from ‘providers’. To become ‘providers’ in the internal market, health organisations became NHS trusts, competing with each other. Community care ensures people in need of long-term care are now able to live either in their own home, with adequate support, or in a residential home setting.

I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

AM
    Participant

“……then those services must be supplied by law….”

I like what I am reading.

Thanks.

taungfox
    Participant

:yes:

I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

AM
    Participant

I’m not really sure if I have any useful tips. Obviously it’s important to take gradient into account. It’s far more difficult to transfer uphill, as it were. Sometimes it may be worth trying to gain a bit of extra height by adding a cushion. I’d never attempt a transfer without someone vaguely sensible to supervise it, and to grab hold of a leg and move it if I get stuck (and only if I ask them to!!). But in general terms slow but sure is the best way. If you make sure that at every point you keep enough of the transfer board underneath your bum, you should be ok. :ty:

nawaz
    Participant

@nawaz wrote:

I’m not really sure if I have any useful tips. Obviously it’s important to take gradient into account. It’s far more difficult to transfer uphill, as it were. Sometimes it may be worth trying to gain a bit of extra height by adding a cushion. I’d never attempt a transfer without someone vaguely sensible to supervise it, and to grab hold of a leg and move it if I get stuck (and only if I ask them to!!). But in general terms slow but sure is the best way. If you make sure that at every point you keep enough of the transfer board underneath your bum, you should be ok. :ty:

Welcome to the forum Nawaz.

Even better for you to be giving helpful advice on your first post. Thanks very much.

Feel free to ask any questions you want or just chat or vent. There are search options
    at the top of the page too and we have covered many subjects.

Glad you found the forum.

taungfox
    Participant

@taungfox wrote:

The OT couldn’t expect you to read it…it’s enough to make anyone fall asleep :no: There have been adjustments to the act since 1990 but from my understanding, it basically means that those with long term conditions (and disabilities) have a right to a ‘needs assessment’ carried out by their local authority. I think people with registered disabilities actually get additional rights on top of this…I’ll try to find out what they are :).

Muscular Dystrophy UK staff member

Alexa Follen
    Keymaster

@Cassini wrote:

@taungfox wrote:

The OT couldn’t expect you to read it…it’s enough to make anyone fall asleep :no: There have been adjustments to the act since 1990 but from my understanding, it basically means that those with long term conditions (and disabilities) have a right to a ‘needs assessment’ carried out by their local authority. I think people with registered disabilities actually get additional rights on top of this…I’ll try to find out what they are :).

Thanks the input.

This seems good news if we can just make sense of it.

taungfox
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Keep in touch