Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    37% of carers do not want to wake up in the morning

Over one in three (37%) carers do not want to wake up in the morning because of dire financial circumstances and is calling on the government for greater support, reveals new research launched today (Thursday 23rd September) by The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.

The survey of 800, who care unpaid for a sick and disabled family member, found that over half (53%) of all carers who work earn less than £10,000 a year, with three-fifths (60%) having to spend all of their savings to support the person they care for. 89% say that they are financially worse off as a result of caring and, consequently, almost two-fifths (39%) fear they will lose their home.

Read more

Really shocking findings, but sadly not surprising :| . It’s about time the government supported carers properly.

mesamb
    Participant
    Re: 37% of carers do not want to wake up in the morning

Some how when caring for a family member, when that family member lives in the same place as the carer, that caring is deemed obligatory rather than vocational and is not seen as necessary to offer financial support.

I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

AM
    Participant

That is just shocking!

The government won’t do anything, these unpaid carers are saving them millions each year in care costs. I’m afraid I’ve become very disillusioned with politics and government, this report is not the first nor will it be the last highlighting problems that the government don’t want to know about! I just hope this doesn’t get worse with the cuts that are being proposed.

Vicki
    Participant

My ex solved the problem of becoming a carer…she divorced me! ;)

Seriously though, i have just spent today cleaning my tiny 1 bed flat and it is becoming harder, i guess i will be contacting the antisocial services for help soon enough. Either that or use most of my DLA to pay for private cleaners, well i suppose that is what it is for after all.

ranald
    Participant

I like that “anti social services” :lol: ;)

Vicki
    Participant

Compared to the 63% that do get up and go about their business I reckon thats not too bad. In this current world we live most people dont want to get out of bed…its warm and safe there

Julie
    Participant

@ranald wrote:

My ex solved the problem of becoming a carer…she divorced me! ;)

Seriously though, i have just spent today cleaning my tiny 1 bed flat and it is becoming harder, i guess i will be contacting the antisocial services for help soon enough. Either that or use most of my DLA to pay for private cleaners, well i suppose that is what it is for after all.

Try playing some music…sometimes it helpsxx

Julie
    Participant

I think its horrendous that there are so many unpaid carers, these are people putting in time and effort caring for a loved one. There are so many rules and policies surrounding what a “carer” is and its easy for them to use family to their advantage. If you are a family member who doesn’t live with the person you are looking after then you can be employed, if you live in the same house then automatically its your responsibility and you don’t get paid, other than carers allowance ( a pittance). We save the government thousands every day and they are quite prepared to let us carry on doing that, causing rifts, debts and suffering for the carer and cared for.
    I am in the very small minority that comes under “Special Circumstances rule” in that I look after my wife 24/7, no other carers come in, I am employed by my wife and get paid for 6 hours a day 7 days a week, this is a purely discretionary situation, one which involved an OT with foresight and excellent justification capabilities, but its one which is available through all Councils if attempted, there is money out there available for this. If they had to pay for external carers 24/7 it would cost hundreds a week and their only other option would be a home, which is not an option!!!
    When the OT comes for the annual budget visit( I say annual, its more like a moving goalpost), there is talk of increasing the hours(and it has taken a few years to get to 6), but the question is asked ” how many hours as a husband do you think you should be responsible for? ” and that sums it up completely.

alunjones
    Participant

apart from not paying carers that fact that you live with your carer normally parents this makes it hard to get personal care from the council and NHS. as they deem the household carer as available. My careres and my Social work assessment for a direct payment for care started a year ago and its still not complete. havent heard anything in months. my carer is waiting on a new knee and we have no back up in place.

Cat

I would have guess a higher % of carers feeling this way..

apart from not paying carers that fact that you live with your carer normally parents this makes it hard to get personal care from the council and NHS. as they deem the household carer as available.

My careres and my Social work assessment for a direct payment for care started a year ago and its still not complete. havent heard anything in months. my carer is waiting on a new knee and we have no back up in place.

Cat
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Keep in touch